Monday 18 June 2012

Some things I love about Colombia...

Over the last three weeks that I've been in Colombia, I've had some of my most incredible travel experiences to date, and that's saying a lot! There is much more to this country than the stereotypes would have you believe - as the Colombian tourist board says, "the only danger is wanting to stay", a peril I've been experiencing since I first set eyes on Cartgena's elegant, ivory silouette from our approaching sailboat. Indeed, I've been here for almost a month, completely unable to tear myself away to move southward as planned!

Here are a few of the many things I love about Colombia, and why I find it so hard to move on:

1. THE PEOPLE! The number one reason my Colombian experience has been so great, for sure. On average, I'd say that the Colombians I've met have been the most fun, friendly, and generous people I've encountered on my travels. I've never been to a country whose citizens love to dance and party as much as the Colombians do, and who do it so damn WELL! It's no wonder that Colombia was voted "third happiest country in the world" by Business Week in 2008 - and from what I've seen, it's probably moved up a spot or two on the list since then.


Birthday Salsa-Dancing at Havanas in Cartagena...
He even gave me a shaker with picture of
the Buena Vista Social Club on it as a birthday present!
Awwww!!!!
The only thing better than Birthday Salsa-Dancing is....
BIRTHDAY SUSHI! (...and happy-hour vodka sodas...*nothing*)

2. The natural environment of the country. For one thing, Colombia is the only South American country to border both the Pacific and Caribbean oceans. While I haven't been to Pacific side (yet...ahem...yes, friends and family, I really am moving on to Equador, I swear it...), I can certainly vouch for the beauty of the Caribbean coast. The Old City of Cartagena, the most-filmed place in Colombia, is an obvious must-see for the majority of tourists, some of whom are drawn in by its more unfortunate attractions (Fun Fact: Apparently, the "Hooker" Hotel Caribe is now a bigger tourist attraction for many Americans than the Old City itself). The natural beauty of the beaches of Santa Marta, Taganga and Parque Tayrona to the west cannot be put into words - these places are true tropical paradises.
Beautiful Cartagena

The town of Taganga, a sacred site of the Tayrona people...
now a major party hub for Israelis who've finished
up their military service. Good times.



Lovely Cabo San Juan in Parque Tayrona.

I'm currently in Medellin, which has a completely different climate altogether, owing to its privileged position in the Colombian Andes. The City of Eternal Spring, as it's sometimes called, is nestled in a verdant valley. The air is clean and fresh, scented by mountain brooks and pine needles. It's a pleasant change from the heavy, humid climate of the Caribbean.

Medellin is a city of contrasts: thousands of brick-colored favelas dot the rich green mountainside, and tin-roof shanties are visible from the balconies of wildly ostentatious shopping malls. Rich or poor, however, the entire city lets its hair down on weekends - Medellin is famous for its nightlife. Indeed, the Ruta de Shots in Parque Llergas almost killed me on Friday. In case you were wondering, mixing Aguardiente with tequila, setting it on fire, and drinking it out a shot glass while someone bangs you over the head with a stuffed, oversized mallet is a bad idea. Doing it six more times or so is an even worse one. Just saying.

3. Perros calientes. No, this is not just a hilarious transliteration of "hot dogs", which in my book would make it worth mentioning in its own right. These are hot dogs to put all hot dogs to shame, sold-street side and outside all fine drinking establishments in Colombia. Ever wondered what you would get if you crumbled potato chips over a chorizo in a bun, and smothered it with mayonnaise, ketchup, mustard, and pineapple sauce? Well, now you know. You're welcome.


Perro Caliente or Colombian-Style Hotdog
Photo of a perro caliente, loaded with delicious nonsense.

4. Chivas. The ones I've seen have been either converted schoolbuses or open-air wooden buses. The awesome factor comes from the fact that they're usually personalized with folksy designs in colorful paint (and/or massive, airbrushed images of nude women elbowing up to sparkly exortations of "Jesus Es Mi Amigo", gigantic laser sticker portraits of the drivers' children, "Monster Drink" decals, etc...you get the idea). They can serve as a form of public transportation, or, alternatively, a moving bar within which you can drink Aguardiente to the point of blindness, then break your neck on the optional stripper pole while practicing your reverse fireman. Your choice, really.

No nudity on this one. Sorry guys.


5. The fruit. Wow, the fruit! They have fruits I've never seen or heard of before - several kinds of mangos and papayas, not to mention my new discoveries of lulo, guanabana, and granadilla. Eaten alone, or juiced singly or in combination, they are divine. I especially love the sliced green mangos sprinkled in salt, served in plastic cups from wooden carts on the street. Fabulous.


Lovely little mangos azucars. I love you guys.

6. Aguardiente. Ok, I'm not sure if I love or hate this one. It's the vaguely anise-flavored, local firewater with a 27% alcohol content, ubiquitous in all nightclubs and plazas in Colombia where drinking is done. I've even heard songs sung about it! (although to be fair, the only words I understood were "aguardiente" and "borracha", so...) There is a sugar-free version that claims to offer a less severe hangover - marketing genius, indeed, as the hangover from aguardiente makes dying of a severe bout of dysentery seem preferable.

"Dun-dun-dun-duuuuuunnnnnn"


What Aguardiente? Not us...

1 comment:

  1. Tara, you kill me. I'm ready to hop on the next flight. Please keep up the documenting of your adventures and keep us laughing!

    ReplyDelete